News & Notes
Welcome to the Mason Middle School website. The News & Notes section serves as a bulletin board to post activity notices in a timely fashion. In addition to this information, please visit our website links to the left for calendar events and other information.
MIDDLE SCHOOL OPEN HOUSE
We will be having an Open House for incoming 6th, 7th, & 8th graders on Wednesday, August 27, 2014 here at the Middle School. It will be from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. 7th graders are to report to the Library to pick up their schedules. 8th graders can pick up their schedules in the Cafeteria. On their schedules, they will see their locker numbers and combinations, along with their class schedule. Students are welcome to see where their classes are, find their locker, and try their combination. Teachers are not required to attend but there may be a few in attendance. There will be syllabi outside of each classroom for students to pick up for their classes.
6th graders are welcome to come to the Open House as well. They may pick up their locker numbers and combinations. There will be a few teachers around to help them find their locker. 6th graders will have their own Open House after school has begun for the school year and will be announced at a later date.
If you have any questions, please contact the Middle School office, 676-6514.
NEW IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIRED FOR 2014-2015
The following new immunization requirements that your student may need, have to be provided in writing from the doctor to our Student Services office by Friday, September 26, 2014 so we can provide them on time to the Michigan Department of Community Health:
1. Required for all children 11-18 years of age:
• Two (2) doses of varicella (Var) vaccine or proof of history of chickenpox disease in writing from parent or on immunization card
• One (1) dose of meningococcal (MCV4)
• One (1) dose of tetanus/diphtheria/acellular pettussis (Tdap) vaccine
(If 5 years have passed since their last dose of tetanus/diphtheria vaccine – DtaP, Td or DT)
Your child may have had all required immunizations at the time of entry into kindergarten however, the meningococcal vaccine and second dose of varicella were not mandatory at the time. Please review your child’s immunization record with your health care provider to ensure that your child meets all immunization requirements. Please send the updated immunization record to your child’s current school as soon as possible.
Incoming 6th Grade Band Members!
Incoming band members are welcome to come to one (1) “Pre-Band” Experience and Orientation on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 from 7:00-7:45 p.m. OR Thursday, August 21, 2014 from 11:00 a.m.-11:45 a.m. in the Mason Middle School Band Room. It is not necessary to attend both sessions.
During the orientation, students will be able see the band room, meet the directors, and receive a group lesson. Students should bring their instrument to the orientation. Parents are welcome and encouraged to stay for an informal parent meeting. These sessions are free and not required, but are highly recommended.
Instrument fitters from Marshall Music will begin the instrument fitting process for incoming 6th grade students in August of 2014. They will call your home to set up an appointment to introduce your student to the possible instruments they can play in band.
If there are any questions about the experience, band, or the fitting process, please do not hesitate to call Ms. Gyhra, Beginning Band Director, at 676-6514 x437 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lunch Aide Position Available
If you are interested in working with our Middle School students during their lunchtimes for the 2014-2015 school year, please submit your resume and letter of interest to Principal Dan McConeghy by August 22, 2014. You may drop it off or mail it to Mason Middle School, 235 Temple St. Mason, MI 48854, Attn: Dan McConeghy.
Duties include being responsible for supervising students during their lunchtimes, and also outside student supervision during their lunchtimes. Must have HS diploma or equivalent, work cooperatively with teachers and students, and excellent communication skills, etc. Hours are from 10:15 am-12:40 pm, Monday through Friday. $9.36 Hourly rate.
For more information, please go to our Mason Public Schools website, Human Resources link for job listings and applications.
Teacher Website Directory
Find out what homework your child has due, what project they may be working on, materials they should be reading, and more! Please check out our teachers’ self-created websites for their classrooms: Go to Mason Public Schools website, then to the Middle School page and click on the Staff Directory. Next to each of your child’s teacher’s name, you can then click on “website.” This will bring up each individual teacher’s website showing upcoming projects due, homework assignments, and more!
In an effort to conserve paper costs, future MMS newsletter will be announced by e-mail and phone message via the Honeywell Alert System and distributed through email.
The late bus is available everyday except for on Wednesday for students who need to stay after school to work with their teacher(s). Students must sign up with the teacher they are staying with by 12:30 p.m. Students need to be out front of the Middle School by 3:15 p.m. There are three busses to take students to the elementary schools, where they will take a transfer bus to their usual stop. For more information please call the Middle School at 676-6514.
Cell Phones/Personal Electronic Devices
Students may possess cell phones or personal electronic devices (PEDs) in school, on school property, at after-school activities and at school-related functions according to the following guidelines:
1. The use of cell phones/personal electronic devices is encouraged to fulfill academic requirements at the express and explicit direction of the teacher. In addition, these devices may be used before and after school. Use of these devices shall not interfere with classroom instruction and/or violate acceptable social media behavior. If these devices are used inappropriately, they will be confiscated and turned into the office.
2. Student use of cameras or the camera/video function of cell phones or PEDs is strictly prohibited in locker rooms, dressing rooms or restrooms in Mason Public Schools including any location where a school activity or an athletic event is occurring.
3. Students may not use cell phones or PEDs during lunch periods or passing times. If a student is found to be using his/her cell phone during this time, he/she will be asked to turn the device off and place it in his/her pocket. If the student refuses to follow the staff member’s instructions, the cell phone or PED will be confiscated for the remainder of the day.
4. All use of cell phones or PEDs must comply with the Ethical Use of Computer Technology. (See page 21.)
5. Laser Pointers and other electronic games are not permitted without the express permission of the administration.
Pupil Transportation Handbooks
For a copy of the district's Pupil Transportation Handbook, please click here. If you have any questions regarding the content of this handbook, contact the Transportation Department at 676-6496.
Ph: 517.676.6514 . FAX: 517.676.0287